So you’ve decided you want to switch to a new business broadband provider – find out everything you need to know to make sure the switch is as easy as possible.

Even PC users will need a MAC

A Migration Authorisation Code (MAC) is the information that will allow you to switch services without a break in your connection – critical if you are running a business. You can ask your current supplier to provide you with a MAC which you can then supply to your new provider. The code consists of four letters starting with an L followed by between seven to nine numbers and five other characters.

How to get a MAC code

According to Ofcom, companies must provide at least two ways of providing a MAC code (e.g. by phone and by email) and should provide it within five working days from the request along with its expiry date.

There are some circumstances in which a broadband provider can refuse to issue a MAC code but these do not include reasons such as contractual obligations or debt collection – and they must provide you with an explanation as to why it cannot be issued if that is the case.

However if you are still within the minimum contract period, you will still be liable to pay any subscription charges detailed in your contract so check the paperwork first to see what charges you will incur.

If things don’t go as planned…

In the unlikely event that you have trouble obtaining a MAC code from your broadband supplier you can contact Ofcom, the independent regulator for the UK’s communication industry. It’s a good idea to send a copy of any complaint you make to Ofcom to the customer services department at the broadband provider as well as they are likely to move faster in resolving your complaint.

More information about MAC on the Ofcom website.